TO: Mayfield Improvement Association
FROM: Dara Gervais
RE: Zoning Appeal – Airbnb
As the first step in adhering to the zoning appeal process I am submitting to you the request for a variance for my home at 2409 Lake Ave.
The square footage of my home is 2,219 without considering the 635 square foot finished basement. The basement has a full bath, a kitchenette and a large finished living area. The first floor has a large foyer, a living room, a finished side porch, a full bath, a separate dining room, a laundry room and a kitchen. The second floor has three large bedrooms and a full bath. The top two floors are completely adequate for my family. Because of this, I am requesting the variance for using the finished basement for an Airbnb.
My plan and my comments for the Airbnb are as follow:
- I would use the basement alone for the Airbnb
- The basement, as addressed above, is a completely independent unit with a kitchen and a bath and a separate entry if needed.
- No structural changes to the inside or outside of the house would be made
- The Airbnb would work solely through a legally binding contract with Airbnb Inc. 888 Brannan Street, 4th Floor, San Francisco, CA 94103 which implements multiple safety terms including, but not limited to:
- Requirement of guest to provide verification of identity
- Requirement of guest to sign the terms and conditions of Airbnb which requires respect for the property being accessed
- Guests much sign a waiver which among other things causes them to agree to “…act reasonably and responsibly and comply with any provided and customary conditions, directions, and/or precautions for participation …”
- A mechanism for guests to evaluate the host and the host to evaluate the guest
- A mechanism for Airbnb to remove guests from the website (and therefore the ability to access other arrangements within Airbnb) if behaviors in other instances were inconsistent with the terms set forth by Airbnb
–It is my intention to continue to work solely with Airbnb and to not provide access to my house as an B&B in any other arrangement.
–The listing for the space would be marketed towards adult guests who are looking for a temporary living space such as hospital staff, visiting professors, parents of college students, visiting graduate or foreign students.
–The minimum required stay would be 2 nights
–The capacity is 2 guests with an option to pay extra per night for one additional guest (for example, if a couple would want to bring an infant or child).
–In the event that I sell the house I will request that the new owners seek approval from the Mayfield Association for any continued use of the home in this way. Please let me know if you have any questions or need any additional information.